As I reflect on the first 40 years of my life, I thought I’d share these pearls of wisdom....I hope you can relate to at least one of these....
1. Girls grow faster than boys, so if you are young and have a younger sister who is close in age, be kind, because chances are she can beat you up in a year or two.
2. Changing your life is about 20 seconds of insane courage.
3. Lead. Whether they want you to or not.
4. Consider the source.
5. Age is measured in years. Life isn’t.
6. The best way to sell anything is “Be Bright. Be Brief. Be Gone.”
7. Doing 21 shots on your 21st birthday is a bad idea. Letting your friends choose the shots is a worse one.
8. Be grateful. It is the key to true happiness.
9. Drive-by humanity is real. Your words can change someone’s life. For good or bad.
10. Live the life you love and love the life you live.-Yaga t-shirt circa 1994
11. Love is love. No matter what. No matter who.
12. Be aware of the world around you.
13. Make up your own words. “Snigletize” your life. It’s more fun.
14. If a girl dumps your books in middle school, she’s got a crush on you. Don’t trip her to show you like her back.
15. “Why” isn’t a four-letter word.
16. Start every conversation with finding a way to get to yes.
17. Team Us. That which unites us is greater than that which divides us. Which is an especially good reminder right now.
18. You’re on my planet. And I’m on yours. It’s my “ride” through the universe, so if you litter or treat my ride with disrespect, I’m going to have something to say about it.
19. Watch as many sunrises and sunsets as you can and take 5 minutes to appreciate your life, good and bad.
20. Everything deserves its day; even the hard things. Feeling is part of living.
21. Appreciate and love your family and friends while you can.
22. If you end up in a fraternity or a sorority, having a smart mouth will also help you learn a lesson in humility.
23. If your mom or dad pushes you, it’s because they care.
24. If your brothers or sisters push you down, it’s because they don’t.
25. Be passionate. And help others find their passion.
26. Inspire yourself. Inspire others.
27. Be eccentric. The world remembers eccentric people.
28. Hug your mom and say thanks for bringing you into this world at least once a year.
29. I’m terrible with gifts. It’s a thing. I also have no fashion sense. I’ve come to terms with it.
30. I believe in Pockets of Positivity and our responsibility to stop the Energy Vampires in this world.
31. Approach the world with childlike wonder.
32. I am a Scorpio, fire sign with Mars rising and born in the year of the dragon. I’m pretty sure I didn’t have a choice.
33. Say sorry. Apologizing is not a sign of weakness. It’s a sign you care.
34. Validation is for parking.
35. Have the courage of your convictions. Step up to bullies. Speak your mind. Intervene. Stand strong. Be willing to look foolish for what you believe.
36. Ask forgiveness, not permission.
37. I died five years ago and it will forever change how I live. I am grateful for every moment that led up to that, and every moment that has come after. I hope everyone is as lucky-minus the dying.
38. People who say “I’m looking at this from 30,000 feet” should be immediately ignored. That just means they can’t see shit on a cloudy day.
39. Get arrested at least once. Not all laws make sense. For example it’s illegal in Oakland to throw a bowling ball down an alleyway at an alligator…come on people…
40. Make sure your children know how much you love them. Embarrass them with it. Then do it again.
What’s your favorite life lesson? Please share it with me.